Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Photography Field Trip




On Sunday, I had my field trip for the Digital Photography Class I took in February. The field trip was at Cylburn Arboretum which is in the city and about a 15 minute drive from our house. It is a neat place. It is free and has a few trails where you can just wander around. The flowers, trees and shrubs are all labeled so it was nice to put a name with a "face" on some of the beautiful things growing.

As luck would have it, I was the only student that was able to come to the field trip! I was excited that I had individualized attention from the teacher. He's a very laid back, neat guy. There is no pressure to perform correctly. He just sort of guided me to areas and I was free to see what I thought was neat. Anyway, here are the shots that I thought turned out the best. I definitely learned more being out in the field for two hours than I did sitting at the desk for a total of eight hours.

I was so inspired about the arboretum and taking pictures that later that day, I took Eddie and Ben back to the arboretum to wander the trails and look at the flowers. They loved it and we had a nice time. Unfortunately, I ended up losing my camera lens cover and UV filter. I had to take them off for my field trip earlier that day and unfortunately, we must not have screwed it back on tight enough when we were finished. This meant that I had to make it back to the car with a fussy toddler demanding to be held because he had walked too far already, a camera which I didn't put in a case and had drapped around my body and never took a single picture because I forgot my battery emptied at the end of the field trip, and a lens hooked to that camera with no protection at all. Me and my bright ideas.

2 comments:

  1. We just got back and I am always so happy to see your postings. Love the pictures-when do you turn professional?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan, check out these links. They may add to your interest in photography:
    LensWork Magazine-----http://www.lenswork.com/
    Brooks Jenson-----http://www.brooksjensenarts.com/

    also, The Washington Post does a great job with their photography postings!

    ReplyDelete