Friday, April 30, 2010

Outer Space

Last night, Peirce and I saw the coolest thing. He read an article yesterday about the international space station. It was to be visible beginning at 9:12 p.m. on the southwest horizon. We decided to go up to the rooftop deck and see if we could see it. Sure enough, as we were staring around wondering if each plane, planet or star was it, this bright light came straight up from the horizon at a pretty fast pace. In the article Peirce read, it said that it would take about 15 minutes for it to pass through our visible sky.

We were so excited because it was so obvious this was it. The light was bright and continuous. If it were flashing, the article said we were probably looking at a plane. The space station really did move quickly across the sky and we followed it with our eyes and some bad binoculars. It was definitely a thrill wondering what the astronauts were doing, what they were seeing, and where they were heading. Too bad I'm claustrophobic and will never experience being up there. I'll stay on Earth and gladly gaze skyward.

1 comment:

  1. Something I have never seen! Congratulations. Sounds like a great evening!!

    ReplyDelete