On Friday, Cacky and Rupert came up to babysit so Peirce and I could have an overnight getaway. We went to Frederick, MD (again...we were just there for the half marathon). We went to the Single A baseball game that night and got $11 seats right behind the visitor dugout. Peirce was kind enough to let me drool over the cute ballplayers and I was in hog heaven. We had such a relaxing time, although I can't say that for the woman behind us that got hit with a foul ball and left with a bleeding nose. We didn't think we'd stay until the end of the game. After all, it was past 9 p.m., my bedtime. But, we hung out and got to watch fireworks after the game was over. We zipped out of the parking lot and headed back to the hotel. We were loving the smaller town living.
In the morning, I went for a run, we had our continental breakfast and then set off for the tiny town of Brunswick where we went for a very loooong walk on the C&O canal towpath. It was nice, but my legs were aching and it was hot! Thank goodness it is pretty much shaded. Peirce waded in the Potomac River and it was gorgeous.
The town of Brunswick is adorable. We found a taco place for lunch and then we went to a coffee shop called Beans in the Belfry. Truly, this was our entire reason for this getaway. Peirce declared that we were going to bring our books and sit in this coffee shop (an old church) and read for hours since we didn't have any kids with us and we could. I declared he was crazy since there is no way I'm going to relax on the old crotchety victorian furniture. But, guess who ended up falling asleep? Yup, me. I was reading my little eyes out, relaxed as could be. This place was just what the doctor ordered and truly the most amazing reuse of a building I have ever seen.
http://www.beansinthebelfry.com/ We spent the whole day there in Brunswick and headed home after that to find two very happy boys and two very happy grandparents. Fun time for all!
Happy granparents indeed. Thank you for letting us stay with those 2 precious(and good)boys. We loved every minute of it!!
ReplyDelete