Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Star Spangled Celebration 2

A week or so ago, Baltimore celebrated the Star Spangled Celebration commemorating the end of the War of 1812.  Two years ago, we celebrated the beginning of the war. You can read about it here. http://macgilltimes.blogspot.com/2012/06/star-spangled-celebration.html
I went back to Tide Point aka Home of Under Armour to take some pictures.

 I headed down to Locust Point with my camera. I really miss the old 'hood. Look how pretty my friend, Kathy's, house looks. 
Coolest flag ever. I mean, really, this just speaks Baltimore through and through.

 We saw the ships start to arrive in the harbor. 
 I thought this one was cool. It was an NOAA ship. This is what I found out about it online.
Dedicated solely to exploration, the ship conducts operations around the globe, mapping the seafloor and characterizing largely unknown areas of the ocean.
 Here I am wearing the same shirt I wore two years ago. Yes, on purpose.
 Then we had to get off the dock because a huge German ship was going to be docking right there. Closer....
 and closer....
 Hello sailors!
 Stand still! I hope it doesn't bump up against the dock!
 Ok, smooth sailing. Lower the ropes!
 The guys on the dock hooked the ropes around the concrete bollards. At least I think that is what they are called.
 Heave! 
 Hi boys! This American welcomes you! 
 Love the cute little tug boats. They do such hard work steering the big guys.
It was a great day and a great way to celebrate our nation!

2 comments:

  1. That's funnyI I was just studying that in history today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the pics. As you know I love ships,just wish I was sailing away on one of them.

    ReplyDelete