Wednesday, August 3, 2011

River Relief

Last weekend, we met some kids from Eddie's school at the state park. Patapsco State Park is one of my favorite places to be. I grew up near one of the entrances and always feel at home there. One of the moms organized this get together and brought goodies and balls and bubbles. It was a fun time.

Despite the hot day, we picnicked in the shade and found relief in the Patapsco river. It felt great! I was kicking myself for not bringing swimsuits for everyone, but I know better next time. There was definitely an air of nostalgia. This is what people did before air conditioning and the television. Hanging out in the river. Drifting the day away.

Peirce had fun playing his "money ball" game with some of the kids that showed up. He throws the ball high in the sky and tells the kids they will earn anything from a penny to a dollar if they catch it. I have yet to see him hand out money, but maybe he does this when I'm not looking.

There are no pictures of Ben because he pooped himself. Yes, in the state park. Where you have to carry out your own trash. And where there is no soap. Or paper towels. I was not a happy mommy.

But, one thing that did make me happy was seeing Eddie play in the river. You never know what you'll get from this city boy when it comes to nature, so I was pleased that he got right in there. Once he got a hold of someone's insect net, he went right to trying to catch minnows. Too bad they are so fast.
First, scout them out.


Bend down and aim.

Scoop up as much water as you can, along with dirt and mud.

Check to see if you were successful.

Guess not. Back to step 1.


1 comment:

  1. Again,thanks for all the pictures-I do love any and all that you post. I had to giggle at Ben pooping himself;although I am sure there is nothing funny about it when you are the mom.At least you had the river if he was willing to go in.

    ReplyDelete