Sunday, May 8, 2011

Half Marathon

On Saturday, Peirce and I ran the Frederick half marathon in none other than Frederick, MD. We went up on Friday and stayed with my mom's friends, Bob and Linda. It was great to escape for a day without the boys and it was nice to have a relaxing race without worrying how we would meet up at the finish line with them. My mom and Larry stayed at our house with Eddie and Ben.

On Saturday, we got up about 5:30, left Bob and Linda's around 6:30 and the gun went off at 7:30. They live very close to the course, so it was an easy drive to the county fairgrounds where the race started and ended.

About a year ago, I asked Peirce (or maybe I told him) that I wanted to run this race with him and stay together as a couple. I think the last time we ever ran a race side by side was back when we were dating, so I thought it would be fun to do something different. I have never run a long distance race with a person by my side the whole time.

The good news is that I got a personal record this year and I have Peirce to thank for it. He never pushed me to the point of annoyance. He told me I was in charge. It was more a silent, gentle but firm pace we took together. We enjoyed the run a little while chatting and in silence. It was all good and a great experience for me. I would love to run with him again, but as he said, "You need to pick up the pace." Sorry Peirce for holding you back, but I do appreciate you doing this with me. I mean really....are we having fun or what?!

2 comments:

  1. I have always said that the couple that runs together stays together. Congratulations on your time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys look fab!! "The governor and his [real] wife enjoy a half marathon together." This is great press. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete