Monday, March 8, 2010

Kiddie Music



I took the plunge and took Eddie and Ben to our first kids music concert. When Ben was born, my friend Alice, who at the time lived in Chicago, sent Eddie a CD called Yellow Bus. It was by a musician named Justin Roberts. I remember thinking at the time (and telling Alice) that I was dreading venturing into the kids music scene because I didn't want to get annoyed by it or spend every minute in the car listening to it. But, after letting it sit there for a couple months, I finally put it in the player and wasn't as annoyed as I thought I'd be. Musically, this guy was kinda good so that helped. It wasn't one instrument just strumming a single note. And lyrically, some of his songs were making me laugh.

Fast forward two years later and Justin Roberts who is from Chicago came to Vienna, VA so I went ahead and purchased tickets. Eddie had no concept of what a concert was, so he wasn't as excited as I thought he'd be. But, I held my breath and didn't chew him out for the fact that I just spent over $50 on these three tickets. We drove down, Saturday morning, had a picnic lunch in the car when we got there and luckily found one of the last remaining seats in a cute little venue called Jammin Java Cafe. Ben was scared for the first couple of songs and Eddie sat entranced and occasionally would belt out a word and I sat there and bopped to the music the whole time. How far I have fallen.

1 comment:

  1. You haven't fallen far. If you looked around the room, I would venture that most of the parents were mouthing every word to every song. That would have been me. It's not the same as hearing Lightning Crashes at the local bar, but I hope you did get to hear the live version of Yellow Bus!

    ReplyDelete