Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Heaven

I had one of those conversations with Eddie tonight that I can hardly put into words. It is amazing how a young mind thinks. We were reading a book about animals and talking about how vultures eat dead animals. Eddie asked if vultures will eat him when he dies. I said no, then proceeded to say that Jesus will come and take him to heaven when he dies.

I could see the wheels churning. We have talked about this before, but realized here we go again with this conversation right before bedtime. We were only supposed to be reading a book about animals. :-)

Anyway, I could see Eddie's face as being nervous about the whole heaven concept because he doesn't want to leave me. This boy will not even leave my side to go to church school for 15 min. I explained to him that it will be a long time before we all go to heaven and that heaven is very far away and everyone he loves will be there.

Eddie: Is heaven further than Richmond? (love the question since we just got back from a visit there, having to constantly reinforce on the car ride that it will be a looooong time before we get there, so stop whining!)
Me: Yes
Eddie: How do you get to heaven? Will we drive in the car? Will we fly in a plane?
Me: No, Jesus will come and take your hand and you will instantly be in heaven.
Eddie (wheels churning): How can Jesus take me to heaven when he is in my belly?

Yes, this brought us back to the fact that he is still only 3 years old and despite our intelligent conversation, Eddie for some reason believes Jesus is in his belly. I had to smile as I put him to bed. Let's save the rest of the conversation for another day.

As he crawled into bed, he asked, "How did God make the whole world?"
Well, maybe we'll keep talking a little longer.....

2 comments: