Monday, April 4, 2011

Aches and Pains

Last Friday, Ben had hernia surgery. April Fool's Day to be exact. All ended well and there was no foolishness so that was good. Eddie had a very similar surgery at age 3 also, so as a mom, I knew what to look out for. I guess something is in the genes when it comes to hernias. The surgery only took about an hour, but the recovery was definitely longer. Ben was so sick from the anesthesia that he kept throwing up. The nurse and doctor kept giving him different anti nausea medications, but to no avail. Finally, after throw up #3, they gave him something that "is cheaper and will make him groggy." But, as we all determined, groggy is better than pukey. He finally perked up and we got to leave. The next day, he was as fine as could be. Kids are great like that. No recovery necessary. He is not to straddle anything for a month so no riding bikes, swings, etc. I think this will be the hardest part.

I am nursing some sort of hurt muscle/tendon in my foot. It kept me from my 9 mile run this weekend. I started off and in about 10 minutes was in tears up the street (because I had to stop and the half marathon is in a month) and figured I better turn around or I'd snap something for good. I iced the heck out of it all day and felt much better Sunday morning. But, as the day wore on, the pain came back. Bummer. I think the reason I am really bummed is because the pain came on at the hospital during Ben's surgery. I wasn't even exercising! That is a total rip off if you ask me. I think rest, ice and elevation will be key. I did go to boot camp this morning and there was lots of running and I did fine, but I definitely feel the pain now and worry for long runs, etc. My training was going well and then a two day fever hit, now this. Just a bump in the road, but a frustrating bump because I was feeling so well prior to this. Oh well, one foot in front of the other, even if we aren't all feeling as strong as Ben!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Ben and good luck with that foot. Remember, your parents support you for 18-22 years or so, but your feet support you all your life!

    ReplyDelete