Friday, March 25, 2011

Hurts and Happiness

Hello all. I've been sick this week with a fever and a bad case of the aches. It amazes me how quickly the body can switch between being perfectly fine and then feeling like something is up. I went to bootcamp on Monday morning at 5:30 feeling just fine. Then I had to work the co-op that Ben goes to in the morning. All the while, I was sipping my tea and saying, "I just can't get warm." (and great, I probably infected every kid there). When I put Ben down for his nap that day, I immediately crawled into my own bed which was beckoning me like I was the moth and it was the flame. Over two hours later, I woke up. And I knew I could take a nap because Monday was my day to have my friend drop Eddie at home. I felt the ache, the chills, the drool on the pillow. Uh-oh, Mom was sick.

I spent the afternoon with the boys snuggled up with me in bed watching a cartoon or two. And for the next 36 hours, I could not get enough of my bed and the sleep it provided. The following day, my parents were able to assist with kid duty a bit which was nice.

I'm feeling better now, but I still have these killer headaches and a swollen throat. I'm a little nervous because I am up to 8 miles on my half marathon training and that is supposed to happen tomorrow morning. I have been feeling good about my running and I fear now I will have this setback which will mess with my confidence. But, at least I have more than a month to go before race day, so I'm hoping my body will bounce back.

Last night, I went to a meeting at Eddie's school to earn a volunteer hour. It was over very quickly, so I was home by 7:45. When I went upstairs, I saw that Eddie's light was still on in his room. (Sometimes, he sits up and reads in bed). So, I opened the door quietly to hopefully find him asleep, but no, he was still awake. A huge smile came over his face when he saw I was home early. I quickly changed into my pj's and told him I could cuddle for 10 minutes. He was so happy! We laid there face to face and enjoyed the snuggles. I would kiss his forehead. He would kiss mine. What a gentle soul he was and a moment I will treasure.

My great aunt died on Tuesday. She was Nanny's younger sister. Nanny (age 94) now has one younger brother (age 81) and her as the only siblings left. Take time with the people you love. Fever or no fever. Age 5 or age 94. Make memories and hold onto them. Life is full of hurts and happiness. Hold onto the happy parts.

1 comment: