Thursday, June 21, 2018

Jersey Time!

When school let out for the summer, we took a trip to visit our friends, Pam and Rod, in South Orange, NJ. I was excited to head north!

Our first visit near their home was to the Rahway Fairy Trail. We were so excited because we are constantly working on our fairy garden at our house! So, this trail was so much fun! 

 We hiked along and got to look for fairy houses in all sorts of places. There were some really cute ideas!

 Later that day, we went to see the 9/11 Memorial at Eagle Rock Reservation in West Orange.

 It was quite moving and had a view of the Manhattan skyline. It was a bit hard to see with the smog that day.


 There was also a really sweet plaque and statue honoring the search and rescue dogs of 9/11. I urge you to read this plaque.


On our way out of New Jersey, we went to Thomas Edison NHP. We were excited to get another stamp in our National Park passports. 

 This was my favorite room....look how many flights of stairs in his library. I would be in heaven!

 We got to see many of his work spaces and learned a lot about Edison's work and what a work horse he was. He just never stopped. 

 I must say I see a little smile on his face getting his selfie with me. :-)

 Eddie is standing in his music room with all the phonographs.
 Thank you Mr. Edison!

 We got back in the car and headed south and I spotted a brown historic sign, so I quickly veered off the road to Washington's Headquarters in Morristown, NJ. It was perfect timing because Ben was about to throw up from reading in the car.  The boys are standing in front of his mansion. We didn't go in there.

 But this was the visitor center and museum which was wonderful. Another stamp in our passport!

 Back in the car heading home and one last stop at the Army Heritage Center in Pennsylvania.  It was time to stretch our legs. We walked a trail on the perimeter. Perhaps next time we can go into the actual museum. On the trail, each war was represented with what army life was like during that time. This first one was a WWI Trench. So cool to actually see what the trenches looked like and get to walk through one!

 I believe this was a WWII tank. 

And this exhibit was for the Vietnam War. You can see Ben pointing out the enemy on top of the tower.  Such a fun trip north. 

2 comments:

  1. Loved the plague about the rescue dogs. It made me a little teary eyed.
    You didn't post the picture of the children in Summit with their cousins. It is one of the best pictures of 5 of my grandchildren I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep stamping those passport books!

    ReplyDelete