Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Dog Show!

Last weekend, Ben and I went to the Shenandoah Valley Kennel Club Dog Show. We got up and out early because the schedule said St. Bernards would be showing at 8:45 a.m. and that was our prime reason for going. Ben read a book from the Dog Diaries series about Barry, a St. Bernard that lived in the Swiss Alps during the 1800's and saved at least 40 people. So we are a bit obsessed with St. Bernards in our house!


As soon as we got out of the car, we were in heaven. We saw dogs right there in the parking lot! And then I realized that when nature calls for a dog, they need some grass. Hence, of COURSE they would have to be outside. 


When we walked in the building, I thought we were in the wrong entrance because we were right on top of all the dogs. Look at these cute Corgis in their cages that were riding by.

 And the German Shepherds were just getting judged. 


And then we saw America's sweethearts, the labs. One in each color!


Then we went into another building where they were holding the Mastiff, St. Bernard, Newfoundland and a few other dogs judging.  Ben was in hog heaven when he saw these mastiffs. He had just read another Dog Diaries book about a mastiff that came to America on the Mayflower. You can't get over these jowels. Check out the dog in the background.


And now check out his insane drool drip. Again, Ben was in heaven with this!


Then, we met some St. Bernards! This is Tonka. He is only 16 months old and this is his first dog show. He barked a few times at other dogs and his owner tried to shush him. You could tell he was a first timer because he was excited to be there. 


So we hung out between the St. Bernards and the mastiffs. This mastiff is Gabriel. I could not get over the size of his head. He was a sweetheart.


And then we met Sam. This was Ben's favorite dog of the day. I think he ended up winning the category or coming in second. We were too overwhelmed looking around to pay full attention to the judging! 


Sam wiped right up against Ben and left him a ton of drool on his coat. His owner was kind enough to wipe it off with Sam's drool rag.


This was my favorite dog of the day. Ralphie. Ralphie is a great dane named after Ralphie from A Christmas Story. He was such a snuggle bug. 


I think my long legs still beat his, although it was close!


We watched the St. Bernards run around the ring. So neat to see their different marks and coloring. 


Yes Ben! St. Bernard heaven!!


Then it was back to the main building where we stumbled upon the whippet judging. They are such sweet dogs and have always been one of my favorite breeds. (besides the big boys)


We were even able to meet a Rhodesian Ridgeback. All the dogs were so well behaved and a real treat to meet.


This is Maya on the left and her son (I forget his name) and they both competed. Maya's fur was like a bunny's fur after petting those big dogs. So soft!


After a couple hours, we decided to head home, but not after one last photo with a Dachshund. He was a cutie pie.  We left there so happy and grateful that we seized the moment and went to the fairgrounds. It was really fun talking to the owners. I wondered if I was annoying them with questions, but then realized these dogs are their pride and joy, so they were very willing to explain about their breed or dog show culture. And I will let you know that we had many more photos and met many more breeds, but I will save you from each one.  Woof!

4 comments:

  1. You can never post too many pictures as far as I'm concerned. Now,really, when are you all going to get a dog?
    Grammy V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben the dog lover. What a day for Ben and Mom. Dog spelled backward is God!!! Looks like Ben had a great day. HOT DOG!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see any Pugs? Sounded like a great day for you both. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable and sounds like so much fun!!! I agree with Grammy, y'all really need a dog...but I'm not one to tell you what to do, it's just a suggestion. ;)) what an amazing day!
    xx, Zoe

    ReplyDelete