A couple weeks ago, I took Ben to get the autograph of his favorite baseball player, J.J. Hardy, shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles. The event was held downtown at BARCS which is the Baltimore Animal and Rescue Care Shelter. The parking was easy and the weather was not too hot.
We arrived and the line was already long. The event took place from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Once we were lined up, we heard people say that they would have three players at the 11 a.m. autograph session and three players at the noon session. We were really hoping J.J. was at the 11 a.m. session since we were there and lined up.
We worked our way down the street and about a half hour had gone by. But, we got word that J.J. was not at the 11 a.m. session. We debated whether we would get our first autograph and then get back in line for the next set. I saw that people were doing this. I realized we had come this far and it was a nice day and of course we would get back in line. But, then the long line started creeping.
And once the line took the turn, it just seemed to stop. So, next our wish went to happiness as we realized, we would definitely be there for J.J. at the noon session. But, the line truly did just stop here.
So, we went from happiness to freaking out that we would even make it. Mind you there were plenty of people still behind us. See how many?
Tick tock, it was about 12:50 and we were getting close! This is when I start freaking out. I can't believe we are here! I had my camera, my items to autograph and my kid so I felt like I had a lot going on in my hands and I didn't even know where to start!
First up is Zach Britton....closer for the Orioles and 2015 All-Star. What a nice guy! Beside him, to his right, was Miguel Gonzalez, starting pitcher for the Orioles.
And finally! J.J. Hardy! I, of course, acted like a total fool because I was rushing (since there were still gobs of people behind us) and my hands were full, but all I really wanted was a picture of him. And low and behold, after fiddling, my camera finally focused and I said, "Can I take your picture?" Granted my big camera was already in his face, so did he really have a choice? But, he said yes and I got this great photo.
And there was a very happy boy with two autographed items. Totally worth the trip!
As we were leaving the area (after jumping up and down and doing a bit of squealing), I looked at my watch. Geez! We were so lucky! And the icing on the cake? As we left our parking lot, we turned the corner and the three players were in their trucks leaving BARCS to get to the ballpark. So awesome! Zach Britton even waved to me as I let him pull out. I was a most happy camper the rest of the day. And of course, Ben was too!

Congratulations on getting the autographs. Bens smile says it all. I feel sorry for the people behind you that didn't get autographs.
ReplyDeleteP.S.J.J. Hardy is so cute!!
ReplyDeleteI agree!
Delete