I got back from Arizona a week ago. I left 75 degrees in Phoenix and arrived to snow in Baltimore. I had to wrap my head around that one.
This is Peg and Larry's house there. They bought the part on the right and then a couple years ago, Larry built the part on the left. Sarah sleeps on the pull out sofa in the living room which is currently the window on the right and I sleep on the far left window on a futon in a separate room.
We must be in Arizona. I get to take pictures like this.
But, the first stop...before we even arrived home was In-n-Out burger! I have always heard the celebrities talking about how they went their before the Oscars, so I had to give it a try.
I think I died and went to heaven. I have never been so happy about a food product in my life. I even made Peg and Larry take me the day before we left. So, uh, yes, I ate an In-n-Out burger twice in four days.
After a nap and a trip to the gym (yes, truly) when we got back to their place, it was time to relax.
We were sitting there and the hummingbird kept buzzing around. His nectar was empty and he wanted us to know he needed a refill. The hummingbirds in Arizona were so timid! Look at it perching on the feeder. It didn't mind a human up close!
One night, Peg and Larry got their friends together to see us. We got together at the Bocce courts and everyone brought a dish. It was fun. And I learned that parties only last 2 hours here. And then people leave because the sun has gone down and they get chilly. I am gonna love living here when I am old. Still in my pajamas by 6:30!
Sarah and I were ready to take on the parents in a game of bocce.
Unfortunately, the parents brought it this year and we were the losers. It is a fun game, complete with benches to sit on when it isn't your turn.
The next day, we drove to downtown Phoenix to look around and get a feel for the city. First stop was Chase Field where the Arizona Diamondbacks play baseball. Unfortunately, there were no tours that day.
But, we were able to go a restaurant in the stadium and walk out to see the field. Unfortunately, the field was covered in dirt because there was a monster truck show in two days. But, hey, at least we got to get inside the stadium anyway!
Walking around downtown Phoenix in t-shirts, we saw something funny...an ice rink! It was about the size of my big toe, so you couldn't even get a stride going. Quite humorous!
We saw lots of pending excitement about the upcoming Super Bowl being played here. (am I allowed to say that or do I have to say "The Big Game"?) Sarah and I were sick to our stomachs that the Ravens weren't going to be here. Especially when we got beat by cheaters. But, I digress.
We drove to Glendale to see University of Phoenix Stadium. They were putting up Super Bowl signs and this was the closest we could get.
When we unpacked our suitcases, we realized we had the same shirts! Peirce gave me mine for Christmas and Sarah got hers from a friend. Too funny. We wanted to represent Maryland while we were out west.
On our last day in town, we drove toward the mountains and went to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum. It was very beautiful to see all the different plants (see second photo in blog) and to see signs like this. It made me smile. And then I did freak a little. But, then Larry told me the rattlesnakes were still hibernating for winter. So, I smiled again.
We took a walk around the main loop and you get to see the mansion that the original owner of the land built for his wife. Apparently, she never liked it and never lived there. Maybe it was the rattlesnakes.
Back at the homestead after our trip to the arboretum and another stop at In-n-Out, I needed to get what I came for. A picture of this sign. George and Penny Ament are the parents of Jeff Ament, the bass player for Pearl Jam. Peirce and I freaked out when my mom told me that #1. They met them and #2. They live right down the street from them in the park. So, let's just say, every walk I took, I usually headed in that direction.
Peg and Penny are on a committee together. Crazy! And George collects oranges and puts them in a box at the end of the driveway for whoever wants them. So, of course, we were drinking Ament orange juice during our stay! Yippee! George was out when we were walking by that day and we stopped to chat and I admitted I am a big Pearl Jam fan and he showed me his hoodie that he has on (the back is a Pearl Jam album logo). I got the nerve to ask for a photo and he nervously agreed. He was adorable and they are the nicest people. Apparently, Jeff visits sometimes. Maybe one of these days I'll get lucky and run into him.
After our stop by the house, one of Peg's friends from the silver shop came riding by in her Woody. I eagerly hopped in and we rolled up to the house in style!
Another great adventure out west.



Just want you to know that I was in my pjs and robe by 6:30 when I was at your house.In fact all the boys were too.Thanks for the pictures. Can't believe your baby is 7 today!
ReplyDeleteYessssss is all i have to say...I want to go to Arizona so bad!!! Happy Bday Ben!
ReplyDelete