Last weekend we took the boys away for an overnight trip. We headed to Easton, Pennsylvania, home of Crayola crayon manufacturing!
We went downtown to the Crayola Experience, a museum with hands on fun exhibits for kids and grownups. I knew by the outside of the building that we were in for some fun.
And just look at these lockers. I think every school should look like this.
First stop was make your own crayon. You got to pick out your color crayon and design your own label.
Oh the pressure.
The crayons were all stacked inside and rolled down.
Then the machine printed your hand designed label and you oh so carefully wrapped your crayon.
Lucky for us parents, we were also given tokens that were included in our admission tickets so we got to do fun things too! This was my first crayon.
And Peirce's of course.
Next stop, let's make a marker! The machine worked its magic and the marker came out white. What?
Then I saw this sign.
And I made Eddie and Ben hold up their white tipped markers as proof that yes, new markers, really are white.
Next stop, Model Magic where Eddie made a snake and Ben made a train.
We found a great hallway with neat history about Crayola and crayons.
For example, we learned that the blue gray and orange red crayons have become extinct. Eddie tells me there is now a red orange and blue gray is now timberwolf. And then there were some politically correct decisions made as well. Flesh color is now called peach. And Indian Red is now chestnut. We also learned there are about 120 colors of Crayola crayons and only 13 label colors. Interesting!
We also doodled on an iPad looking screen and made it appear on the walls.
There's Ben's!
We danced with the crayons. They would mimic your moves.
My favorite part of the crayola experience was the Meltdown area. There was melted wax and you dipped it onto a stick and painted a card. Mine is just too beautiful for words (I have found my calling), so you will have to come visit after I get them framed.
On our way out, we hit the gift shop. Ben decided that he wanted to spend $15 of his own money to get a Crayola tin filled with all the markers and crayons you could fit.
It was a very fun process for him to pick out everything. There were so many crayons. It was so hard to choose.
On our way out of the museum, we stopped to take pictures with the giant markers.
Do you think the whole building would topple if I pushed this down? I hope not.
This was the town center of Easton, PA which is a great town with restaurants and shops. It was so great, we couldn't even find a place to eat dinner on Saturday night that didn't have a long long wait. And that's another story. This is the actual view from the Crayola Experience. I would recommend a road trip to any crayon lovers out there!
That is the neatest place I have ever seen. I want to go there. Maybe Ben and Eddie would like to go back! Wonderful pictures-looks like a charming town.
ReplyDeleteAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am green with envy! Oh, if you knew how much I loved all the crayon colors! So lucky.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a very colorful trip. Eddie and Ben seem to be in their glory. So nice that Mom and Dad gave them this experience.
ReplyDelete