Friday, November 22, 2013

A Dozen News Items

This week, I figured I would share a couple of news items.

1. I am officially registered to be a substitute teacher. No calls yet, but I hope to get some under my belt soon. I hob knobbed the principal to get her to put my name with a face and she said she's put me on the preferred list.

2. Last week, the boys received their report cards. All is well in kindergarten and third grade. We are very proud of them in their new school.

3. Eddie won the top male 3rd grade finisher in his final cross country mile with his running club at school. Very exciting! Peirce's dad was here to witness it too. We froze cheering him on. Apparently, his mile time was 9:12 which sounds crazy insane considering I'm not sure I could do that pace.


4. Speaking of pace, I have been running. Shhh. I'm so hesitant to announce this because I have been sidelined with plantar fasciitis since baseball season 2012. Yes, it has been that long. I remember a friend telling me that a friend of hers said it took her 14 months to cure. I thought she was crazy, but now I totally get it. So I have done some morning pitch black runs (there is not nearly enough light here. I'm used to the city.) And when I get up the next morning, I can still walk! I can't even tell you how huge that is. Meanwhile my back hurts because of all the pounding so I won't be winning any awards any time soon. I am slow as molasses, but I promised God that I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth and I am perfectly happy to plod along!

5. I just realized I am sounding more like my dad....I have said "hob knobbed", not knowing how to even spell that. And "look a gift horse in the mouth." Seriously, sometimes there is just no other way to state things. No wonder my foreign friends look at me like I'm crazy. They have no clue what I'm talking about.

6. The reason I sound more and more like my dad is that this fall, we have been working at Nanny's house once/week. Here's me laying some tile in the basement.


7.  The fun is that I have had to clean my junk out of her basement too. And now in my possession is Victoria Marie. That's right, I sent the form back to name her myself (Every girl age 35-45 knows what I mean by this) because I was certain that is what I was going to name my own daughter. Also in my possession is Jocelyn Constance whose name I hated at the time, but now I realize it is quite pretty. Thanks Dad for traveling all over kingdom come (there I go again with the lack of words) to make a happy Christmas. 


8.  The leaves have totally taken over the yard. Thanks to Eddie for helping me until the sun went down last night. We did what we could and it looked like we did nothing. Oh well. 


9. I celebrated my 39th birthday this week. I had a nice day. I went to the elementary school to observe third grade. I got to watch Young and the Restless and my sweet husband took me to dinner for half price pizza night with the kids. I was asleep by 9 which is how I like it.

10.  A little while ago, we went back to the old neighborhood. Under Armour is slowly taking over the world down there, but they are doing some cool things. At the pier where we would walk, they have painted the tanks at the factory. I nearly died. They were so cool!



You had Michael Phelps coming out of the water.


Cal Ripken, Jr. waving on his 2131 games played night for the Orioles.

And Ray Lewis saying his final goodbye for the Ravens.


11.  While in our old stomping grounds, we visited the Museum of Industry where we got married. As our anniversary and goodbye to the neighborhood gift to each other, we bought a brick to be placed on the museum grounds. Do you like Peirce's cheesy wording? 


 Oh but what a view!


12. Last but not least, a funny story.  The other morning I was downtown and it was super foggy. A trucker actually stopped me to ask where the Domino Sugar factory was. He was about 3 traffic lights away. It was just too funny because it is such a bright landmark and the fog was so thick that the poor guy couldn't see it even though he was that close!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Meg for all your news items. It makes my day to read about my Baltimore family and all they do.Hope you get lots of subbing and that you like it-I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, let's get serious. Did anyone check out Eddie's running form? Great upper body lean. Push off rear leg straight in alignment to upper body lean. Good elevated lead knee in stride. Arms at a 90 degree angle at the elbow driving toward the midline of the torso. A natural.

    ReplyDelete