Yesterday was Penguin Awareness Day at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore. Since Eddie's favorite animal is a penguin....yes, his bed is covered with stuffed versions of them....I knew we had to check it out.
We saw a real African penguin egg that has since been filled with plaster. I thought the egg was pretty big!
Then, we got to get up close to a real African penguin. Usually, when the zoo has the animal ambassadors out, we have to keep more of a distance. Either that, or the penguin wants to run away.
But this lady, named Tux, stood as still and sweet as could be on her table.
Her sister, Tails, was in the playpen next to her.
From there, it was on to Walk Like a Penguin and carry a bean bag on your foot like an emperor penguin.
We also did a Compass Expedition (yes, I finally learned to use a compass with coordinates for real!) while pretending we were going to different continents to look at different species of penguins. Quick, does anyone know how many species of penguins there are? And don't google it!!!! Leave a comment if you are bold enough to answer without the help of the internet.
The boys also used kitchen tongs as beaks to pretend they were penguins bringing food back to their chicks.
Ben measured up to be as tall as an Emperor.
And she isn't a penguin, but I just had to show you this cute giraffe. She was being very friendly (and very hungry for leaves) yesterday. I love the zoo. Do you too?





Penguins, penguins! I can't tell you how many penguin types there are, but there are 163 dog breeds!
ReplyDeleteCousin Zoe
I can't believe that our penguin lover got to do all that penguin stuff!!! I,too,do not know how many penguin types there are,but there are 2,346 breeds of cat. Just kidding.
ReplyDeleteThanks again for the pictures. Go Dukes!
Count me in next year. Ask Eddie how many types of Penguin types there are. Eddie knows ALL about Penguins and Ben is a close second.
ReplyDelete