Monday, October 17, 2011

Hello? Hello?

For most of last week, we were without a land line phone. This wouldn't be a problem for many people I suppose, but for me, it was odd. I have a pay as you go phone and I always joke with people that I will kill you if you ever call me on it unless you need to and then you better talk quick. So, without a land line, it was a bit quiet. No telemarketers bothering me, no train notifications of when the entrance or exit to our neighborhood was blocked and no one calling just to chat. Not that I have time to chat anymore, but still. It was odd, but not as bad as losing internet. I feel that internet is my true lifeline.

On Sunday, the phone went out. We were able to figure out that the problem was not on our end and the phone company came out on Thursday to fix the pole. Then, the phone man sees that the line into our home was cut and now the problem is on our end. What? Were we vandalized or something? That makes no sense! We had service one hour and none the next. So, back to the phone company I go telling them that the problem is now the wiring inside our house in which case they tell me it would be $160 to have someone here for the first hour and $30 each additional 15 minutes. Yikes. But, fine, send someone. What other choice do I have?

Peirce got home and took matters into his own hands. He knew this didn't make sense that our line was cut. He realized that we use a very very old phone connection inside the house and traced that back to its source. Well, the source wasn't the one that the phone man was using. That was some new source that was never hooked up in the first place, hence, why the wire was neatly bundled and "cut" and not hooked up.

On Friday, he followed the old phone line throughout the house and yard and then out to the lower deck off the boys room. Next thing I know, he is calmly yelling downstairs for me to come up to the deck. I freak out thinking that a dead mouse is in the closet with our phone connection. (has happened before, hence my freak out). But, low and behold, there is a raccoon sleeping on our deck!! I mean, just bundled up in a cute little furry ball tucked between our storage container and the house wall. Neither one of us could believe such an animal would find a spot in our city home. We were making so much ruckus too with being in the yard and talking about the phone line and we never woke it. I could tell it was breathing, so at least I knew we didn't have to remove a dead animal. But, all the while I'm thinking...in the city? What is this about? I showed a friend Friday evening and then it was awake. Staring right at us. Getting ready to start its night. Ok, let's close the door.

All we could do was batten down the hatches and go to sleep. In the morning, I waited for the sun to rise and peered out the deck door to find...an empty spot where Rocky the Racoon had been. So long little dude. I quickly moved the storage box up against the wall taking away the potential for him to revisit that spot. Let's hope he stays away and finds a better more animal friendly area.

And as a side note, Peirce and my dad fixed the phone line that day and I canceled the expensive house visit from the phone company. All is well. I think I hear the phone ringing.


1 comment: