So, once Peirce got home, I headed to St. Agnes hospital and waited in the ER. I drove myself and could hobble slowly to get around just fine. Low and behold, there was a parking spot right in front of the ER and I was so happy about that. The doctor took one look at it and thought it looked bad and it could be a broken bone on the outside of the foot. The area that is swollen is the top right part of my right foot. Anyway, I went for my xray and was just flying through the emergency room experience. I brought my book and magazines and thought I was prepared for a wait.
Then, everything came to a screeching halt as I waited another hour for the results. Low and behold, nothing was broken. Yeah! No cast! Christmas is coming. I'm going to Arizona in January. Life will be fine. The doctor asked me if I needed crutches and I gave a "nah. As long as you think I can hobble on it, that's fine with me!" So, I left with an ace bandage and a too small shoe thing that you strap around your foot. Oh, meanwhile, some freaky snow was here all day, so the ground was covered and the traffic was a mess earlier. But, did I fall in the snow? No, right in my own house!
I get home and am grateful to just eat some dinner and head off to bed. Mid way through the night, the pain was really bad. I finally asked Peirce to get up to get me some ibuprofen. Up until this time, I hadn't taken anything. Then, I realized mother nature called and I should get up as well. That's when I realized I couldn't put ANY weight on my foot and the swelling got worse. Not sure if this is from sleeping or if this is normal or if there is a greater issue. So, now I'm on the hunt for crutches. Peirce has to go to work all day for a training. I can't drive because it is my right foot, so I posted something on our neighborhood listserv and we'll see if a kind person comes through. I can always send a friend to buy me some hopefully. Needless to say, I'm kicking myself for not getting the free ones at the ER. You just never know.
Having had a knee replacement I have a cane and/or walker you can borrow. Or I can make you a pair of crutches. Send dimensions. As the track coaches would say, "you have to know the difference between pain and injury." Seems like you had it right.
ReplyDelete