Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chairs Be Gone!




In Baltimore, there is an unspoken tradition or rule. Please let me know if this happens elsewhere because everyone I've encountered only has seen it happen here. After you dig out your parking space, if you drive away, you put a chair in your spot to hold it until you get back. Basically, the theory is that you did the hard work, so you deserve to have a spot waiting for you when you get back. I personally, cannot stand this. I didn't grow up in the city, so not until I moved to the city did I have to live it everyday. I have never done it....but after nine years and a huge blizzard (or two) that happened back to back, Peirce and I finally joined the club and staked our claim to our parking spots as we drove away.

Yesterday, I said to Peirce that I am finished with the chairs. I don't care if someone takes my spot, I just cannot stand it anymore. Enough of us are dug out that we should come to a truce to no longer do the chair thing. So I took a few short trips and left no chair. I came home and my spot was still there. I knew I was still pressing my luck though.

Today, the best excitement came to Lowman Street! Two Bobcats, one dump truck and one backhoe were hear to haul the snow away. They were on the street a block over last night and I talked to the dump truck driver. I had some questions for him about his wheels. I'm a total geek for the construction equipment because Eddie asks me the coolest questions about them. Anyway, he said they had been taking the snow and dumping it under the Hanover Street bridge and the day before, they dumped it into the harbor. Needless to say, everyone's chairs are now gone and there is no longer any jockeying for position on our street. These guys were working 12 hour shifts and it was FEMA money coming to play. I was thrilled that our neighborhood gets to benefit from it firsthand.

p.s. Notice the green car covered in mud that got stuck in the lot across the street. It is below the skyline. After multiple tow attempts, that guy finally got towed out today too. It was an exciting day for us. We never did find out what on earth he was doing over there. Perhaps he thought there was a road that didn't exist.

1 comment:

  1. What snow? We were there to babysit Ben tonight and there were no signs of snow.....

    ReplyDelete