Last Saturday, Peirce and I had the luxury of going away for a night. Grammy V and Papa Rupe (aka Cacky and Rupert) came to watch the boys. We headed to Shepherdstown, WV which is the cutest tiny town full of shops and restaurants on a quaint main street. Before we checked into our Comfort Inn, we took our bikes directly to the C&O canal for a bike ride. The trail is great because it is flat and shaded most of the way. We decided to head south and made it to Harpers Ferry and back, totalling about 23 miles
Peirce was in hog heaven on the bike. He would zoom off and get into a groove and next thing I knew he was no where to be seen. I had to chuckle quite a bit because usually he is so polite and waits for me or glances back, but this day, he decided to leave me in the dust.
In typical, Peirce/Meg fashion, we brought just a tiny bit to drink and nothing to eat. I had only eaten a plain bagel and an ice cream bar before this ride. I'm on vacation after all, I can eat ice cream whenever I felt like it! I was pretty tired when we turned around and started back. I ended up petering out about two miles from the car. I could feel the tears coming down my face. Finally, I hopped off my bike and stood there crying for about 30-60 seconds. I kept thinking "how am I going to bike in a triathlon with hills this summer?" I hopped back on and felt much better. I just needed a release! My butt and knees were killing me. I did not realize how hard it would be to ride on the gravel of the trail with constant bumping and concentrating so you wouldn't hit a big rock.
After the ride was over, we checked into the hotel and got cleaned up and went out for a mexican meal and Dairy Queen. (do you see my ice cream theme?)
The next morning, neither one of us had hurt muscles, so that was good news. We walked around the town and took a leisurely way home stopping at Five Guys where I had the best burger in the world. We came home to find happy kids and happy grandparents, so the trip was a great overnight escape.
No comments:
Post a Comment