Thursday, July 21, 2016

Bearfence Rock Scramble

 Last weekend, Ben and I took a hike in Shenandoah National Park. This hike is called Bearfence Rock Scramble. It is a 1.2 mile moderate hike. How bad could it be? And anything with the words rock scramble is something right up Ben's alley! This was the view that we thought was "the view".

 We started out with some tricky footing. 

But, I was able to handle it with the help of my 8 year old cheering me on. 

 And then things got a little more treacherous. I'm starting to freak out at this point. 

 But, Ben is cool as a cucumber. I love this pensive shot of him. 

Finally, we reach the summit which was 3640 feet above sea level. The hiking book said it was a 360  degree view, so this made much more sense. But mind you, I am trembling and frightened to move at this point. I actually made sure to scramble when there were people around because I was so afraid of losing footing and going off the side and I wanted witnesses. 

 Here I am getting to the top of the rocks. You couldn't even see what was on the other side of the rock, so that didn't help my nerves.

 But, I sat my bottom down and breathed and turned around to take a picture of my new best friend. Some guy from Boston that goes to school at JMU. I figured these random people would run for help if I took a plummet. And he was having no trouble just standing on this rock like it was nothing. Clearly, he hasn't reached his 40's yet. 

This is my selfie at the top. 

Even though this is what I felt like. Give or take a couple tears of fear. But, truly, the view was amazing. If only I could have looked up. Or stopped shaking. 



 Then, Ben had to convince me to get over the TOP of that rock and come down the other side. As you can see, it was all on our butts. You can see the blaze painted on rocks. That's the only way you knew where you were going. 

 This is looking back at the top of the rock we just climbed over. 

And after some scooting down, this is the view back where we just came from. Things cooled down and we reached normal parts of the trail again. I knew it was going to be more relaxing now! This is a hike I will never forget. I could never have done it without Ben talking me through it. He was a real sweetheart.  And the cool thing is, I took the exact picture of Ben that is included on the park hiking sign. 

3 comments:

  1. That Ben is something else! So proud of you for making it all the way. You were very brave,but what can you do with your 8 year old leading the way but follow him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most beautiful view I've ever seen!! That hike looks like so much fun and Ben looks so adorable in the pensive shot!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did that scramble at Ben's age.

    ReplyDelete