Friday, September 20, 2013

Jellystone Camping Adventure


This August, we got to try a new camping adventure at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Campground in Luray, VA. We stayed two nights at the campground and loved every minute. Sorry these pictures took so long. With all our camping loot, we seriously didn't have room for my camera bag (gasp!) in the car, so Peirce swore he would take all the pictures on his phone (gasp!). But they turned out good. I just needed to wait for him to download them. 


We got the "deluxe" tent site which meant that we had a covered picnic table. It was actually a nice addition because it kept the acorns from falling on our table and gave us somewhere to hang our wet swimsuits and towels.


The campsites were pretty close to each other. Luckily, on our first night, we only had neighbors on one side. Unfortunately, the next night, we had some sort of girl scout troop roll into the vacant campsite accompanied by mothers who insisted on talking at the top of their lungs no matter the reason.


The next day, we headed to Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. This is one of my favorite places on earth because it reminds me of being a kid. When I was young, we went there pretty much every summer for a week away or at least a long weekend. We stopped at a lot of the lookout spots and enjoyed the views with Eddie and Ben.


Then we went to Big Meadows Visitor Center and took a hike through the meadow. It was so pretty.


That night, we had a fire and marshmallows. The temperature was going down and the weather was perfect.


Our final morning in Jellystone, we took in the incredible mountain view from the campground. There is a huge field there that has cabins lining it. And those lucky cabins get that view. I could get used to that. 

At the center of the photo, you can see the amenities that come with your camp stay....pools, splash water park, water slide, mini golf, paddle boats and our favorite, the jumping pillow! This was definitely deluxe camping.



After our breakfast and some snuggling because it was chilly, we headed down for one last jump before we had to check out. Yes, Eddie is still wearing his pajamas.


Here is Eddie getting ready...


And here is Eddie airborne. Mind you, Peirce and I jumped too and I pretty much giggled the entire time. Peirce named himself "The DestrucTOR" and wrecked havoc on all the kids bouncing them to and fro. I could seriously hear them all the way at our campsite. I was mortified and worried we would get kicked out of the park or worse....banned from the jumping pillow.  The good news is, it is definitely a good workout.


 After we checked out, we headed north to Winchester, but stopped along the way at some civil war sites. Come on kids, get out of the car and take a picture. We don't care that you don't have shoes on.


 And we found a covered bridge and took that detour.


We are definitely those parents that are as constantly taking detours to discover history.  I hope the boys get used to it. 


Then is was onto I-81 and back north. A wonderful summer vacation. 

2 comments:

  1. You are creating memories for those boys,which I am all for and think is great.I hope Peirce remembers our camping trips;although there weren't a whole bunch of them. I know his summer memories are of going to Va Beach and then to Richmond to visit family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Pillow Jump Thingy Magiggy! Yes, that is deluxe camping all right. Whenever we go camping, it's always sweatshirts all day, smelly stuff, porta potties (YUCK!!!), and tiny tents. Luckily, we got a new, bigger tent, so we at least have some wiggle room. Ha-ha.

    P.S. Eddie, consider joining Club Penguin,(website) and ask ME for tips.
    -Zoe

    ReplyDelete