The other day I was listening to the radio in the car and someone posed the question of "What was your happiest childhood memory?" I really tried to go with my first gut reaction and not overthink it, so I think I have an answer. My best memories were all centered around being alone. Isn't that weird? That truly speaks to the introvert in me. But, the memories also stem from my wonderful home growing up. We had a beautiful old victorian home and some extra land that sat next to it which was the "state property." We could do whatever we wanted to on that land, just as long as we didn't build a permanent structure, ie. an in-ground swimming pool. So, we had a big vegetable garden, played soccer, put up tents, practiced hurdling, etc. Lots of fun stuff.
So, two of my favorite memories were of hanging out on that state property and hiking the path up to the garden. We also had an old garage and underneath that, I used to play house I think. And I used to climb an old holly tree in the backyard and just sit there and think about my life. Yes, I would get married at 22, have 2.5 kids, a house with a picket fence while I was a teacher, veterinarian, architect, etc.....all those random things you think of as a girl.
My other favorite memory was falling asleep at Christmastime in my room in my twin bed. We had the single light in all the windows and I used to love the glow it gave to my room. It just felt so comforting.
Now, do you think these memories constitute "favorites"? I thought it was just so neat that I had everyday memories as opposed to a big trip. Oh man, actually I loved going camping at Shenandoah National Park. Now I'm all confused again. But, I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't take money to make memories. Kids may latch on to just a random day and be perfectly fine with that.
Eddie had two days off this week and on one of those days we did a couple science experiments from a kit that Whitney had given him for Christmas. It was fun, even though I had to move quick because his attention span was limited. But, needless to say, it felt good to have some time alone with him while Ben was taking a nap. And didn't we make a very pretty volcano?


Now what is your favorite memory?
I have several. One has to do with Christmas Eve when I got to fall asleep in my parents bed and then my Dad would carry me to my bed. I remember how hard it was to get to sleep because I was so excited.The other 2 have to do with smell and sound. We had a farm about 30 miles from Richmond where we would spend the weekends in the summer. I remember waking up to the sound of the whip-o-wills.The other was the smells of mother nature at the camp I went to in the mountains of North Carolina. I would love to know what Peirce's are.
ReplyDeleteI love you Meghan.
ReplyDelete