Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Training Time

I have a real job. See what happens since I haven't written in a while? I just finished two days of training for my new job. Peirce wanted to go out to dinner tonight to celebrate my first 2 day work week in a long time. How very sweet.

My new job is for the Baltimore CASH Campaign. I will be a Tax Site Manager. This organization provides free tax preparation for people who fall below a certain income guideline. I will be working at a site in Baltimore as a tax site manager. We will have volunteers come to prepare tax returns and I will assist them. In addition, I will do tax returns myself, review returns, e-file and basically be a jack of all trades that is in charge of people. Yikes. Luckily, since this is my first year, I will have a more experienced person still over me.

The CASH Campaign was an off shoot of Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service (MVLS) who I used to work for before I had kids. After I had Ben, I did some work at home in my pajamas, for the CASH Campaign. Each year, my boss has checked in with me to see if I'd be interested in being a tax site manager and I told him no way. But, this year, I was ready to hear him out.

He told me he would need me on Saturdays during tax season at a minimum. After thinking long and hard, I finally picked up the phone and accepted his offer. This would allow me to still be a full time mom during the week, but then be my own person for one day on the weekend. Peirce would have a new weekend role, but I was sure he could handle it well. And he hasn't bristled once.

So for the past two days, I have been learning tax terms, law, and random forms. I must admit, I have found it way more interesting than I thought I would. So, I'm taking that as a good sign. Not to say I wouldn't have appreciated a nice nap in the middle of the day, but I managed to hang in there.

I have three more training days in December and then I start at my site sometime in January. Here's to a 2012 with an unexpected course....and a healthy refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment